MARS 2030 is a virtual reality simulation where players explore the Red Planet and make discoveries across 40 square kilometers of open Martian terrain, accurately-mapped and -modeled using NASA satellite data. Produced in collaboration with NASA.
Suit up for the first manned mission to Mars! MARS 2030 is a virtual reality simulation that gives players the opportunity to explore the mysterious red planet like never before.
MARS 2030 centers on open world exploration. Taking on the role of an astronaut, players traverse Mars and collect geological samples that uncover the planet’s past. Make discoveries across 40 square kilometers of open Martian terrain, accurately-mapped and -modeled using NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter HiRISE satellite data. Along this journey, players discover a world rich in history that, much like our own planet, once looked very different from what exists today. MARS 2030 can also be experienced in non-VR.
Key features include:
- Full Martian days, with the orange hues of day transitioning to blue at night
- Realistic weather conditions, atmospheric pressure, and Martian gravity
- Geolab workstation equipped with a VR Microscope to study collected samples
- A habitat base, modeled after the design from NASA Langley’s Evolvable Mars Campaign
- Interactive VR music, performed and recorded by the London Symphonic Orchestra
- Ambisonic sound covers audio sources from every direction and propagates sound realistically
- Full support of motion controls to operate equipment and Mars rover, and navigate the terrain
Mars 2030 was developed by FMG Labs, a division of Fusion Media Group, in partnership with NASA. It is available on PC for HTC Vive and Oculus headsets, and will be available on Playstation VR at a later date (TBD).